I would wake up and I cough like a ninety year old man. In the shower, my eyes would itch. And, pouring a cup of coffee usually spilling it all over me because of my non-stop sneezing jag. Sound familiar? I was allergic to my life; turns out that having an allergy is the most common denominator among people of all ages, sex and ethnicity. In fact it’s estimated that approximately 40 million Americans suffer from some sort of allergy.
Here is a short list of things I did that made my life less of a sneezing, coughing, itchy-fest.
- No fresh flowers. Sad, I know, however they are often the culprit
- De-clutter. Knick knacks are fun — but seem to collect every speck of dust on the planet
- Vacuum your mattress and cover it with a hypo-allergenic mattress pad. Unless you are allergic, the best materials are cotton and bamboo
- Use unscented soaps, shampoos, conditioners, deodorants, moisturizers and lotions
- If you want to use room deodorizers find an organic fruit spray. They are a lovely alternatives and have been proven to be effective at killing viruses and bacteria without harmful side effects
- Brush the dogs outside and often
The more you about common allergens in your life the less Kleenex, nose sprays and pills you’ll need to buy.